Wednesday 25 November 2015

My Thoughts On: Jessica Jones - Part 3 (#148)

Onto the third part. This post covers episodes 6, 7, 8 and 9, which means that the fourth part of this will be the last and will cover the last four episodes. Not much more to say about this, so enjoy. Episode 9's coverage is longer than the others because I really liked that episode.



Episode 6: AKA You're a Winner!
















Synopsis: Luke hires Jessica to help him find someone who may have skipped town, but she fears he'll learn too much about her history in the process.
Quote: "You touched me with the same hands that killed my wife, while you knew." -- Luke Cage, after Jessica tells him that she was the one who killed his wife, under Kilgrave's control.
Favourite Part: When Luke Cage waits until the end of the bus route to confront the man who he believes responsible for ending his wife's life. If a guy like Luke with that much strength and unbreakable skin was after me, I would be so terrified. Also, I forgot about this so I'll choose another favourite part: the bit literally right at the end when Kilgrave moves into Jessica's childhood home and it's slowly revealed to the viewer as Kilgrave scrapes off the wallpaper in the house to reveal Jessica's name on the wall, and also when the camera pans out to show the streets that she lists whenever she needs to calm down during her PTSD.
My Opinion: I forget exactly what happened in this episode since admittedly it wasn't as memorable as some of the others. I'm not saying it was bad, but from what I remember more stuff happens in a lot of the other episodes. However, it was very climactic and satisfying  when Jessica finally stopped hiding the truth from Luke and told him what really happened between her and his wife. It was also quite upsetting to see them break up and take their separate paths, even though they do reunite again in the last few episodes of the season.
Rating: 3/5



Episode 7: AKA Top Shelf Perverts















Synopsis: Malcolm, Simpson and Trish go rogue to prevent Jessica from carrying out an extreme plan to outwit Kilgrave.
Quote: "Supermax only houses the worst criminals. Top-shelf perverts, cannibals, serial killers who make mosaics with their victims' fingernails." -- Jeri Horgarth.
Favourite Part: I really liked the scene where Kilgrave mind-controls all the police officers into pointing their guns at each other, and you keep wondering if everybody was going to kill each other. That was a really iconic part of the trailer for me and I was looking out for this scene ever since I started watching.
My Opinion: Another fairly nice episode, not too much happens in it if I remember correctly but it's important because it's a prologue to to the following several episodes which all make up possibly the highest point of the season. I also thought it was pretty funny and ironic how one of the main themes of the episode being that Jessica was trying to get herself locked into a supermax prison.
Rating: 3/5




Episode 8: AKA WWJD?














Synopsis: Jessica experiences a strange homecoming courtesy of Kilgrave. Hogarth's conflict with her estranged wife reaches a tipping point.
Quote: "How am I supposed to know? Huh? I never know if someone is doing what they want or what I tell them to!" -- Kilgrave.
Favourite Part: Right around the end of the episode where Jessica tricks Kilgrave by drugging his chef and maid and then taking him out. Cool, unpredictable plan.
My Opinion: This was a very enjoyable episode. We see Jessica having to live with Kilgrave despite how much she fears and hates him, and it was interesting to see her kind of lull him into a false sense of security while she pretended that she could get to love and live a life him if he could try being more of a hero and helping people. Also, the acronym 'WWJD?' in the title means 'What Would Jessica Do?' and it relates to how Jessica tries to teach Kilgrave to act more like her and use his powers for good. As Spider-Man would say, 'with great power comes great responsibility.' And also, I can't wait for Spidey's appearance in the MCU. He debuts in Civil War in just around half a year!
Rating: 4.5/5


Episode 9: AKA Sin Bin














Synopsis: Just when Jessica has Kilgrave where she wants him, Hogarth's involvement complicates the situation. Details of Kilgrave's past emerge.
Quote: "Scared like a little mama's boy. Come on, Kevin. (In a mock British accent) Be a good boy for mummy and daddy." -- Jessica Jones, while making fun of Kilgrave (Kevin) inside his glass prison.
Favourite Part: As I will talk about below, it has to be the part where Jess goes into the glass room with Kilgrave and starts beating him up really badly. I thought she was done for, but I guess he had the upper hand after he didn't retaliate and made her look like the bad person in all of this.
My Opinion: Probably my favourite episode of the show. The whole thing was so tense, with Kilgrave trapped inside the glass cage with the water underneath him rigged to an electric current, being forced to watch videos of his childhood self being badly mistreated by his parents. And speaking of which, the part near the end of the episode where he forces his mother to stab herself with scissors, and he escapes from the glass cage and all the characters fall into chaos. Seriously, I'm one of those people who usually doesn't laugh or get tense when watching shows, not because I'm not enjoying them, but I usually only laugh out loud when I'm joking with people in real life. However, the part where Jessica goes into the small room with Kilgrave and starts attacking him brutally actually had me shivering, as I felt he was going to completely destroy her and kill everybody in sight out of anger. Alternatively, I was very cold at the time I watched it so that could explain the shivering, but I think the episode also had an impact on it, at least partially.
Rating: 5/5


Click here if you'd like to see the previous part, or here if you'd like to see the next and final part (once it's posted, of course).

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment